This is my go-to egg casserole for brunches. Mostly because the consistency is not too eggy or too dry. And my husband loves English Muffins. Over the years, I’ve made some modifications to the original recipe. I hope you enjoy it. It’s also a life saver on mornings where you know you’d like to offer something hearty but also know that you’ll have no desire, think Christmas, New Year’s and the first morning after the in-laws arrive. Mix it up the night before and stick it in the fridge and put a note on the couch or the TV that the first person up is in charge of getting it into the oven. With any luck breakfast might be waiting when YOU wake up.
English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package of your favorite ground pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, or as needed
- 1 (12 ounce) packages English muffins, split
- 10 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tsp dry sage (I also sometimes add rosemary and thyme)
- Salt, pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium high heat. Stir until crumbly, evenly browned and no longer pink. Drain most of the grease (but not all) and set the sausage aside in a separate dish. In the same skillet, using some of the sausage’s left over grease, fry the diced onions until soft and brown.
- Lightly butter a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Split each English Muffin and butter the inside of each half. Arrange buttered 1/2 English muffins, butter side up, in the prepared baking dish so it fills the whole bottom. You will have to cut some in half to fill the gaps. Top with half the sausage, half the onions, half the Cheddar cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese.
- Whisk eggs, sour cream, green chilies, herbs, salt and pepper together in a large bowl; pour evenly over sausage and cheese layer. Top with remaining sausage, onions, Cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake casserole in the preheated oven until lightly browned and set in the middle, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.