Butterflies and flowers are the symbols of spring. That’s why after I created a rose bouquet cupcake, I just had to have butterfly cupcakes to go with it!
With butterfly wings made with pretzels, these easy butterfly cupcakes decorations are the perfect addition to any spring party or Easter celebration.
Look at them having a blast with the rose bouquet cupcake!
Butterfly Cupcakes Materials
You will need:
– Cupcake of choice (You could use a box cake mix to make a vanilla cupcake, but I actually used my super moist chocolate batter recipe)
– Vanilla Frosting of choice (This Swiss meringue buttercream frosting is divine)
– Pretzels – I used the Original Pretzel Crisps from the Snack Factory because I liked the size and shape.
– Spring colors m&ms
– Licorice cut in 1/2 inch strands (I used black Twizzlers)
– Spring colorful sprinkles, icing sugar or non-pareils
—->Check out the video for the quick DIY or read all the instructions below:
If you like my videos, please hop on to my YouTube channel to subscribe!
Easy Butterfly Cupcakes Step by Step Instructions:
You may want to bake the cupcakes ahead of time as they need to be cold or at room temperature before frosting. Cool them quickly on a wire rack.
- Frost the top of the cupcake with white frosting. Although green would probably work well also.
- Frost the tips of the pretzels. Front and back.
Now make sure you use a whole pretzel, the bag will be filled with broken ones. Be gentle.
- Dip the pretzel tips in the sprinkles to coat.
- Place the pretzel “wing” in the cupcake. Repeat with another pretzel for the second “wing”. Make sure to leave space in the center of each cupcake for the m&ms.
- Place 3 m&ms of the same color in between the wings in the middle of each cupcake and finish up with a 4th different color m&m for the head.
- Place 2 licorice pieces under the head m&m for antennas!
That’s it! Wasn’t that easy!
Don’t keep it all to yourself, please share!