This is my go-to egg casserole for brunches. Mostly because the consistency is not too eggy or too dry. And my husband loves English Muffins.
Over the years, I’ve made some modifications to the original recipe. I hope you enjoy it.
It’s also a life saver on mornings where you know you’d like to offer something hearty but also know that you’ll have no desire, think Christmas, New Year’s and the first morning after the in-laws arrive.
Mix it up the night before and stick it in the fridge and put a note on the couch or the TV that the first person up is in charge of getting it into the oven.
With any luck breakfast might be waiting when YOU wake up.
English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
- 1 16 ounce package of hot ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Package of English muffins. Split
- 10 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese – divided
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese – divided You can use a Mexican cheese blend instead of the cheddar and mozzarella
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tsp varied herbs sage, oregano, thyme, etc..or a blend
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the sausage until crumbly. Drain and discard the excess grease.
Grease a 9″x12″ casserole dish
Open the English muffins in half. Place buttered half muffins at the bottom of the pan covering the whole thing. Cut some English muffins in 1/2 or 1/4 to fill every hole.
Top with the 1/2 the sausage and 1/2 the cheese.
Wish the eggs, sour cream and chilies together in a bowl and pour over the the sausage and cheese layer.
Top with the remaining sausage and cheese
Bake until lightly brown and set in the middle. About 35 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.